Keep It Co-op!
- You may be thinking, so what? Co-operatives are businesses owned and run by and for their members. Whether the members are the customers, employees or residents they have an equal say in what the business does and a share in the profits. The Co-operative Movement brings together over one billion people around the world and greatly benefits the communities they operate. Co-ops come in all shapes and sizes but the philosophy is always the same.
A co-op near you:
• Little Forest Play School – founded in 1951.
• Del Norte Credit Union (DNCU) - founded in 1959 by the employees of Los Alamos National Laboratory looking for a way to pool their money and create a financial co-operative.
• Los Alamos Co-operative Market – founded in 2011 by a group of locals interested in bringing local and organic foods to the area.
What does it mean to” Keep It Co-op”?
The LA Co-op Market, Little Forest Play School, and Del Norte Credit Union are working together for the good of the community (because that’s what Co-ops do) and you get all the perks. Come “Keep it Co-op” with us.
Tour the Co-op
- We hosted two school fieldtrips and a summer youth fieldtrip so far this year. Call us to plan a fieldtrip/tour (505-695-1579)
- Co-opROCKS! is part of our outreach program to young adults (high school and college ages). The program is intended to provide young adults with a venue to express their interests (music, art, theater, etc.) in a fun and safe atmosphere. We strive to share our cooperative values through this venue by sourcing local talent and encouraging young adults and the community to support each other and create this event fun. Admission is FREE!
Next Event: February 16 11am to 10pm at Warehouse 21 in Santa Fe.
Previous Event: Saturday May 19th, 2012 at UNM-LA Student Union Building
Bands: Deep Space Lions, Petrichor, Syzygy, Friend 2 Foe, DJ Zebrablood, DJ Schwaa
Additional Activities: Spatter Painting Activity, Electric Vehicles, Robotics
This event would was made possible by the support of many people and groups including: Los Alamos Teen Center, Art Club, Anime Club, Student Council, Environmental Club, Northern New Mexico Electric Vehicle Association, Los Alamos Historical Society, Juvenial Justice Advisory Board, and Robotics Club
Youth Environmental Clubs
- The Co-op supports the Middle School and High School Environmental Clubs. Last year we arranged to send produce to the Wildlife Center to feed the Bears, attended Club meetings to help brainstorm project ideas, provided taste test opportunities for the students, and encouraged service learning. We are looking forward to expanding our support this year.
Co-op Hoop House: This educational greenhouse was made possible by the Family YMCA, who purchased the frame through a Y Earth Service Corps grant award from United Way. The Middle School Environmental Club helped decorate worms and dirt to raise funds for building this educational hoop house at the Co-op. The frame is . The plan is to have the hoop house ready for winter plants.
Youth Food Project
- We support the Youth Food Project. Check out more about this project through the following links: LAYFP home, Facebook, LAYFP overview.
- Shop with the Chef: This class series takes participants from buying the ingredients to eating the prepared dishes. Some chefs do hands-on cooking and learning, while others do more demonstration. Everyone leaves with ideas, recipes, and the delicious aftertaste of good food. We have 6 classes available for the new year so far. Registration is required. For more information please see our calendar and upcoming events.
Co-op Conversations: This free class series brings in experts to share their knowledge through discussion, lecture, activity, or demonstration. These free classes do not require registration and cover a wide range of topics including health, wellness, environment, and nutrition. For more information, please see our calendar and upcoming events.
- Community donations is one of the ways we support community.
Please see our donation policy and request form. Our donation budget is based on a first come, first served basis.
Donation Request Form
We supported the following organizations: Los Alamos High School; Rotary Club; Self Help (Empty Bowls Project); Mexico Mission; Atomic Man Duathlon; Friends of the Shelter (Los Alamos Dog Jog), Pajarito Environment Education Center (Earth Day Festival); the Family YMCA (Chamisa Recycle Art Show; Annual Fundraiser; Firecracker Family Fun Run); Pinon Elementary School Social Committee; LA Derby Dames; Jemez Mountain Run; New Mexico Conservation of Voters; VYCE Community Projects/Young Life (skateboarding event); House of Hope, LA Junior Golf Association; Pajarito Trail Fest; and PAC 8.
Click here to see our list of events.
We are establishing community partners and building our support of community events and programs. We are still gathering information on potential projects, so please contact Sandra West (email@example.com) with ideas, interests, and requests. Thank you for embracing us!